Lumbini is the ultimate pilgrimage for every Buddhist – The Star of Asia and symbol of peace.
Lord Buddha was born in Lumbini while his mother was on her way to her parental home from Kapilvastu. He was born during the full moon day in the month of Baisakh in 623 B.C and is believed to have been born under a Saal tree (Shorea Robusta) when Maya Devi (his mother) was going to her maternal town on the occasion of the delivery. After his birth, Buddha took seven steps towards north, which is now shown as seven lotus flowers and looking in all directions, he declared that “I am the foremost of all creatures to cross the riddle of the ocean of the existence, this is my last birth and here after, I will not be born again”.
This newly born Hindu Prince named Siddhartha had supernatural birth signs, which indicated that the new born child will bring deliverance to the world. Ascetic (Rishis) warned the king that the boy might renounce the world anytime if he happens to come across, the diseased, an old man, dead body or the ascetic.
The king, alarmed to hear this, married Prince Siddhartha at an early age and almost imprisoned him in pleasure palaces, providing therein all kinds of enjoyments so he will be happy and stay there. However, the prophecy came true and he became The Buddha.
Lumbini should be visited and be seen by devotees, as it is the being of one of the four holy places of Buddhism.
The other sites are Boudhagaya, Kushinagar and Sarnath in India.
Lumbini is situated in Nepal in the foot hills of the Himalayas about
ATTRACTIONS IN AND AROUND LUMBINI
The birth place itself is interesting as a whole with its landscapes and the green forestry. Maya Devi Temple, the Stupas and the Pillar built by great King Ashoka alone are worth a visit.
Recently, several beautiful shrines have been constructed by devotees from all over the world.
A visit to Lumbini is not only for spiritual enlightenment but also for solace and satisfaction that one gets in such a calm and peaceful place.
MAYA DEVI TEMPLE
THE ASHOKAN PILLAR was inscribed and essentially erected by Ashoka in 249 BC.
• The inscription on the pillar (the oldest in Nepal) declares that Ashoka granted Lumbini tax-free status in honor of Buddha’s birth. It is 6meters high and half of it is beneath the ground. It is behind the Maya Devi Temple, and to the west of the temple.
THE BUDDHIST MONASTERY was built the modern way but is quite important in shedding a light in relation to the architecture on the walls. The middle hall contains some exquisite murals resembling the medieval periods’.
EXCURSIONS TOUR FROM LUMBINI
KAPILVASTU – A holy destination related deeply with the life Lord Buddha.
Kapilvastu is the place where Lord Buddha lived his childhood and the days of teenage years, in complete luxury. The capital of King Shuddhodhan, Kapilvastu still carries with it the mystic charm. It houses many sculptures of Buddhism, which presents a landscape before visitors which makes them feel calm and content. Kapilvastu carries the visitors away to the ancient days when Buddha was a small child and a prince.
The place is situated 27 kilometers south of Lumbini.
HOW TO GET TO LUMBINI?
• Bhairahawa is the nearest airport, 22 kilometers which is well connected to Kathmandu airport.
• Gorakhpur, India, is the nearest railhead, 122 kilometers from Lumbini.
• A good motor able road connects Bhairahawa to Lumbini and also other important cities in Nepal.
• Arrival in Kathmandu. • Pick up from airport by Earthbound Expeditions representative. • Check into a hotel and rest for the day.
• Drive to Pokhara- 200 kilometers, west of Kathmandu by a/c tourist coach. • Sightseeing.
• Drive to Sarangkot – 6500feet. Sunrise and close-up view of Annapurna and the Fishtail Mountain. • Excursions & sightseeing.
Drive to Lumbini.
Sight-seeing in Lumbini.
• Drive back to Kathmandu. OR • Take a flight. • Join the team for a Nepali cultural show and a farewell dinner in the evening.
A trip to Nepal Himalaya and beyond is adventurous and thrilling due to its…
We take you under our wing once you have decided to travel with us,…
Beside travel and trekking business Earthbound Expeditions also believe in our responsibility towards our…
Authenticity runs deeps in our company, a very important reason why we like to…
Planning a holiday can be stressful, especially in regards to time and money. Hence,…
Our team members comprise of long-term, experienced individuals who are often born and lived…
All of our listed package itineraries are tried and tested for suitability. Our past…
The company has excelled in providing services to its clients from around the world…
An Award-wining responsible Travel company tha has been recently featured in